Friday, May 16, 2014

Introducing Guest Writer: Greg Tully

Hi guys, Greg here. So I grew up with a dad who loved Ford. When I was born my dad had a 1989 Ford Mustang GT, despite his having two boys. He kept that Mustang until I was 3, and bought a brand new 1999 Ford F-250 Powerstroke, which we still own. When gas first became $4 a gallon, my dad bought a 2003 MINI Cooper S to go along with the truck.


My mom had a Pathfinder when I was born. She sold it, and bought a used 1998 Infiniti i30. Later, she sold that too and bought a brand new Honda Pilot so she could have seating for 8 people. Then my mom bought a 2009 Mazda 3 to save money on fuel, and eventually replaced that with a 2012 TDI.

My love of cars started when I was in elementary school, when I started collecting hot wheels. One of my best friends at the time loved hot wheels, and he taught me to love them too. In 2005 when my mom was looking for cars to replace her Infiniti, I helped her research. Even though I still wasn’t anywhere close to driving, I still loved looking up all the specs and reviews of all the cars that my mom was test driving. Ever since then, I have loved researching, reading about, and talking about all different kinds of cars.

When I turned 15, I got my permit. At the time my dad had his truck and his MINI, and my mom had her Honda and the Mazda. I learned how to drive stick in both the Mazda and MINI, at the same time. No easy feat, considering the clutches acted so differently. When I got my license, I inherited the Pilot from my brother, and drove that for 2 years until we sold it.

My current car is a 2007 Subaru Outback 2.5i. Don’t worry, it’s a stick shift. It isn’t anything like any of the other cars that I have driven, but it is also my favorite. That’s probably because it’s my first car that I got to pick out my self. I count it as my first car, even though the Pilot was technically my first. But if I had an unlimited budget, I would buy a Shelby Raptor and find some way to swap a manual transmission in it.

Blame my dad for that, he is the one who taught me to love ford trucks.

~ Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment